Monday, December 12, 2011

The Nutcracker

This year I decided to try to do a theme day for Christmas books. Some may end up taking more than one day and others may be combined.
Last week we did The Nutcracker. We read a few different versions of the story. We also watched a Care Bear movie about it. We listened to the CD, Tchaikovsky Discovers America, which includes some of the music.


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
 


I found these cute Nutcracker cupcakes in Hello, Cupcake. The recipe called for a lot of different candies and things we didn't have. Instead of buying the stuff, I just pulled out our leftover Halloween candy and let the kids be creative. Each nutcracker took 6 cupcakes.



Photobucket
Colin's

Photobucket
Molly's

Photobucket
Caleigh's


Showing off their creations:

Photobucket
 

Photobucket
 


Photobucket
 


I had to do one too. I didn't notice until I was looking at the picture that I forgot shoes.
Photobucket



Lastly, we went to a school showing of The Nutcracker. It was really good and we all enjoyed it.


Photobucket
 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous and creative idea! LOVE how their nutcrackers turned out. Fun!

Visiting from the HHH :)

Blessings, Carlie @ So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler?

Sierra @ H is for Homeschooling said...

I used to love The Nutcracker! I think we will have to make nutcracker cupcakes next year :)

Stopped by from the HHH.

Lisa Boyle said...

I love how your Nutcracker creations came out! Wow! :-)

Many blessings,
Lisa

Marsha Cooper said...

Looks like you had a very fun week!

April said...

Love the nutcracker cupcakes!! Great idea!