Sunday, January 30, 2011

An update on having a School Room

I saw this "Show off your Homeschool" link up party. I love seeing where everyone does school. I thought this would be a good time to give an update about our school room.

I was so excited to have a homeschool room when we moved into this house. We've only had a separate school room one other time and only for a couple months. It was in the basement, but there were some windows so I thought we'd use it. Within days we were dragging books upstairs to the kitchen to do school though. After working to get it all set up and having dh make us a table, I hoped we would actually use this new school room. Now that we're half way through the school year, I'm happy to say we do use that room. I love having a separate place for our school. I'm so glad I don't have to worry about clearing off the kitchen or dining room tables every day. I like that school books mostly stay upstairs and not in piles around the house. I like having a place to display art work and projects. I like that our shelves of books and supplies are in the next room for easy access. I think it works because it's a big open room. The large table gives us space to all work together and spread out books or projects. Having a couch in the room is great because we can do our read aloud books right there. I find that I get less distracted by other things because I'm upstairs away from the kitchen, laundry room, etc.

Although I had plans for some other things to do in the school room, it still looks pretty much the same as it did at the beginning of the school year. The only major change is a desk for the computer and our timeline hanging on the wall.

These pictures are what our main school room looks like today. There are two other rooms off from this one. One is what the kids call the library and the other has Colin's First Lego League table in it (and will hopefully one day be my scrapbook room if I ever get time to organize it).









To see more detailed pictures of this room and pictures of the room next door where we keep books, games, and supplies, go to this post from August.

10 comments:

Melissa N. said...

WOW Sarah that room rocks in my opinion...I would love to have a designed room for the kids to school in. I pray someday! I love that desk and how you have different areas set up. Thanks so much for linking up today! Peace to your Sunday night!

I Live in an Antbed said...

That is a wonderful space!!! I love it! And there is so much room, you can do anything in there. Thank you for letting us see your space.

Aimee said...

That's a great room. I love all the open space!

Anonymous said...

I love it, Sarah! Your space is every homeschooler's dream :) Love the couch. I wish we had room for something cozy... :(

Mary said...

WOW! I am so coveting your space right now! What a great room!

Mary

Anonymous said...

I came from the Homeschool Hop to visit you. Cute kiddos and a neat classroom!

FoundersAcademy.net

Jennifer said...

That is a great room!

Anita said...

Loved looking at some of your posts. It makes me miss the days when all my children were younger. My kids are now spread out from 2-26. Working together where we can, but I'm finding it more difficult to do the fun studies with my little guys!

Wonderfully Chaotic said...

That is such a wonderful room - and beautifully decorated! I would love to have a room just for school someday.

Stopping by from the HHH! :)

~ Shay @ WonderfullyChaotic.com

Dee said...

I love your school room! I never thought of the benefits of having a room separate from the rest of the house to keep mom from getting distracted. I may have to rethink the whole separate room thing myself now.

Thanks so much for sharing! I am hopping through from the Hip Homeschool Blog Hop. I believe I will be adding you to my list for following too. Can't seem to stop reading. Hehe...

Take care!
Dee